Gluten Free Rosemary Farinata
This is one of my favourite ways to use chickpea flour and it’s gluten free. It yields an incredibly satisfying “pancake” that can be served alone or as part of a larger meal. The exterior is crispy while the interior remains soft and creamy. Farinata is best eaten straight out of the oven (after cooling slightly) but does well reheated in a 350F oven the day after.
2 cups of tepid water
1 ½ cups chickpea flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
5 tbsp olive oil, divided.
- Whisk together the water and chickpea flour. Cover and set aside for 1hr.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Uncover the chickpea mixture and skim the bubbles off the top and discard. Stir in the salt and 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil in a 10” cast iron skillet set over medium high heat until the oil just begins to shimmer.
- Once the cast iron pan is hot, carefully pour in the chickpea batter and scatter the rosemary evenly over the top.
- Carefully transfer to the middle rack of the oven and cook for 30-35min until crispy and brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 5min.
- Slice it into wedges and serve immediately.
Serve a slice with a poached/fried egg on top and a side salad
Serve a slice alongside pasta
Cut into fingers and serve with dip or pasta sauce.
Tip: If you don’t have a cast iron pan use any oven safe skillet. 12” will also work but will yield a thinner farninata.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...