Roasted creamy onions with cheesy panko
4 cooking onions, peeled and halved crosswise
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
3 sprigs of thyme
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated gruyere (or aged cheddar)
½ cup cream
¼ tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400F
- Place the onions, cut side up in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and coat with the olive oil. Place the thyme sprigs on the onions.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and cook uncovered for 60min, basting every 20min.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to a small frying pan set over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs and stir. Cook for 2-3min, stirring frequently until the crumbs are golden brown. Transfer to a plate to cool. Once they are completely cool mix in the cheese.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cream, mustard powder and nutmeg.
- Remove onions from the oven and discard the thyme sprigs. Pour the cream mixture, evenly over each onion and top with some of the bread crumb and cheese mixture.
- Set the oven to a low broil and place the onions on the top rack. Cook for 3-5min until the cream is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...