Pretzel and Asiago Crusted Chicken
1 kg Chicken (thighs or breast)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
200g Pretzels, crushed finely
¾ cup Asiago Cheese
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp onion powder
Canola oil for frying
- Trim any excess fat off the chicken thighs and then place between two pieces of plastic and pound with a meat mallet until the chicken in evenly flattened. If using chicken breasts, cut them in half lengthwise, yielding two flat pieces of meat.
- Add the eggs together and Dijon Mustard into a shallow dish (pie plate) and whisk until well combined.
- Add the crushed pretzels, asiago cheese, paprika and onion powder into a second shallow dish and mix together.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, shaking off any excess. Transfer the egg coated chicken piece to the pretzel mixture and fully coat the chicken. Use your hands to press the mixture firmly into the chicken. Transfer to a baking sheet and continue with all the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Heat 3 tbsp of canola oil in a non-stick skillet placed over medium heat. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time and fry gently on both sides until golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken to a baking sheet. Repeat with all the chicken, adding more oil as needed.
- Place all the chicken in the oven and cook for 12min or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Serve with honey-mustard sauce.