Perfect BBQ Bone-in Prime Rib with Horseradish Aioli
A good rule of thumb is to buy half a pound per person for a bone-in prime rib. If your family has a big appetite, like mine, err on the side of a little more. Leftovers can always be used for sandwiches or beef and barley soup. To ensure the beef is cooked to your exact liking every time, use a thermometer. See below for a temperature chart.
2lb bone in prime rib, cap off
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Place an aluminum tray under one side of the bbq below the grill and preheat to 400F
- Season the prime rib all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the prime rib on the heated grill and cook for 5min, undisturbed on each side. This will help develop flavour and create a nice exterior crust.
- Turn the side of the BBQ off where you placed the aluminum tray and transfer the prime rib to that side. Continue cooking the steak over indirect heat until the internal temperature reaches the appropriate number for your preferred doneness. See the chart below. A 2lb bone-in prime rib will take approximately 40min to cook to medium-rare.
- Remove the prime rib to a clean plate and loosely tent, allowing the meat to rest for 15min before carving.
- Serve with horseradish aioli.
Medium rare – 130F-135F
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp prepared horseradish (or dijon mustard)
- Stir the mayonnaise and horseradish together and chill in the refrigerator until the meal is ready to eat.
Tip: Cap off means to choose a piece with the outer fat removed. You can also ask the butcher to remove it. This way you reduce your chances of flare ups on the BBQ and end up with more meat in the end.
Air Fryer Beef and Blue Cheese Stuffed Portobellos
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...
Chipotle-lime Air Fryer Beef Skewers
Tender, juicy and chocked full of flavour, cooking these skewers in the air fryer means you...
Air Fryer Lemon-oregano Roast Beef and Vegetables
Paired with bold Mediterranean flavours, this tender beef roast and mix of hearty vegetables is...