PANTRY PICKS: Easy Stewed Chickpeas and Greens
This recipe makes use of pantry and freezer staples you should always have
on hand. It’s easy to switch the flavours. If you don’t have a specific spice leave it out and get creative with what you have on hand. If you don’t have tomato paste add 1 cup of diced tomatoes and call it a day. The point is, you can make something delicious with basic ingredients.
2 tbsp canola oil
2 cooking onions, diced
1 can (156ml) tomato paste
2 cans (540ml each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cans (400ml each) coconut milk
½ tsp chili flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 bag (500g) of frozen vegetables (Greens, cauliflower, broccoli or a mix)
- Heat the canola oil in a large pot and cook the onions until soft.
Stir in the tomato paste, beans, coconut milk, chili flakes, oregano,garlic and cumin and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered at a lowsimmer for 15min.
Stir in the frozen vegetables and cook until thawed and warmedthrough.
- By the bowl topped with sour cream or yogurt
- Use as a topping for cooked rice, rice noodles, potatoes, sweet potatoes or toast.
If you have:
- Indian or Thai curry paste add 3 tbsp of one when you add the tomato paste.
- Vinegar or lemons, add 1 tbsp at the very end of cooking.
- Fresh herbs? Chop roughly and garnish your bowl with parsley, cilantro or basil.
Air Fryer Beef and Blue Cheese Stuffed Portobellos
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...