Panettone with Pear & Cherry Ricotta Filling
1 Panettone (800-900g)
¾ cup heavy cream
1 cup icing sugar
1 ¼ cup creamy ricotta
The paste of 1 vanilla bean (1 tbsp vanilla extract)
1 cup diced canned pears
¾ cup dried cherries
Garnish: Icing sugar, ½ cup chopped pistachios and ½ cup pomegranate seeds.
- Line a 2.5-quart glass bowl with plastic wrap so the wrap hangs over the sides of the bowl.
- Slice the cake into ½” slices and line the entire bowl with the cake. Press the cake into the bowl as you go. Fill any gaps with pieces of cake and press together to create a cake “shell”.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer add the heavy cream. Use the whisk attachment to beat on medium until medium-peaks form. Add the icing sugar and vanilla bean paste and continue beating until stiff-peaks form. Add the ricotta and beat on low for 15sec. Fold in the pears and dried cherries.
- Pour the cream mixture into the cake shell and tap the bowl gently on the counter to settle the cream into the cake.
- Cover the cream with more cake pieces, gently covering the entire surface to the edge of the bowl. Press down gently. Cover with more plastic wrap and find a small plate that will fit on the cake. Add a heavy can to weigh the cake down and place in the fridge for 6-48hrs.
- Remove weight and plastic wrap from the top. Gently but quickly turn the bowl over on to a cutting board or serving platter. Slowly lift the bowl up and the cake should come out on to the board easily.
- Garnish the top with icing sugar, pistachios and pomegranates and slice to serve.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...