Navy Bean Cacciatore
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cooking onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
15 cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
1⁄4 tsp chili flakes
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 cup wine (red or white)
1 can whole tomatoes (or 2 cups passata)
2 cups cooked Navy beans (1 19oz can)
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 8min until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown. Turn the heat down if the vegetables are getting too dark or begin to char.
- Stir in the cremini mushrooms and cook for an additional 6min.
- Mix in the garlic, rosemary, oregano, chili flakes and wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan to lift off any flavourful brown bits that have developed. Bring to a simmer and cook until most of the wine has dissipated.
- Add in the whole tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a wooden spoon. Tip the Navy beans into the skillet and mix through. Turn the heat to low and cook covered for 20min. and stir occasionally.
- Stir in parsley and serve.
Tip: leftovers are delicious served over buttered toast.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...