One of My Favourite Ingredients
Always a staple in my kitchen there are so many ways you can use this vivid citrus to elevate the flavour of your food. The zest, where all those lemony essential oils live, is totally underused. Zest lemon before you squeeze out the juice and freeze it to be used as needed.
- Add zest to a pan of roasted vegetables as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Finish sauteed greens like rapini, spinach or broccoli with a squeeze of lemon.
- Mix the zest and juice into yogurt or sour cream along with salt and pepper and drizzle over cooked fish, vegetables or chili.
- Mix lemon juice into parsley, chopped tomatoes and black olives. Stir in some olive oil, salt and pepper and serve over fish.
- Finish your next batch of chicken soup off with the juice of a lemon.