How to Make Easy Collard Green Wraps
Collard green wraps are an amazing gluten-free sandwich option. They are also chock-full of nutrients and have a great texture. This is more of an idea, a method if you will, than an actual recipe. It’s a wrap so you can fill it with whatever you fancy. I lean into leftovers like cooked grains, veggies, tofu or meat. If your fridge is lacking leftover options, grab pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store, bagged coleslaw or other pre-chopped veg. Then choose a sauce or dip to tie it all together. Think hummus, peanut sauce or your favourite salad dressing. Many collard green wrap recipes use the greens in their raw state. I prefer to blanch them for 30 seconds in boiling water. Blanching softens the collards enough to make rolling the wraps easier, reduces bitterness and intensifies the colour – all good things. Now, let’s get wrapping!
6 large collard greens
- Use a sharp knife to remove the stem at the base of each leaf.
- Lay each collard green face down. Hold your knife parallel to the thick fibrous stem and shave it off.
- Add 3” of water to a wide skillet and bring to a boil. Once boiling add your collard greens, one at a time for 30sec. Transfer to a clean tea towel to dry off. Stack and store in a container until you are ready to use.
Lay collard green flat and place all your fillings at one of the short ends. Roll the collard over the filling, tucking it in and folding in the sides as you go. Once all the fillings are tucked in you can eat it immediately with some extra dip. Otherwise make them ahead and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Cooked chicken, beef, tofu, pork, cheese.
- Quinoa, rice, barley, beans, noodles.
- Coleslaw, shredded carrots, julienned cucumbers, peppers.
- Hummus, dip, salad dressing
- Nuts, hemp seeds, dry fruit.
Air Fryer Beef and Blue Cheese Stuffed Portobellos
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...
Chipotle-lime Air Fryer Beef Skewers
Tender, juicy and chocked full of flavour, cooking these skewers in the air fryer means you...
Air Fryer Lemon-oregano Roast Beef and Vegetables
Paired with bold Mediterranean flavours, this tender beef roast and mix of hearty vegetables is...