Grocery nerds are the cool kids now
GROCERY STORAGE FOR THE WIN!
While no food lasts forever, it will last a lot longer when stored properly. Longer storage = fewer trips to the grocery store, plus cash savings—a double-win! Here are some of my best grocery nerd tips:
Surprising freezer-friendly foods
- Eggs: crack and mix up a bunch before freezing
- Peanut butter: mix if needed and freeze right in the jar
- Leftover tomato paste: pop that bit from the can into an ice-cube tray
- Cooked rice: tomorrow’s fried rice doesn’t have to be literally tomorrow
- Milk, butter and cheese: I like to grate my cheese first so it’s easy to add to recipes.
How to freeze foods
- Airtight is key, whether in freezer-safe containers or resealable bags
- Store soup 1 to 2 inches below the shoulders of a jar to avoid broken glass
- Line a casserole dish with foil and overhanging sides. Once a lasagna or casserole is frozen, lift it out of the dish, wrap tightly with more foil to save freezer space
- Fill ziplock bags and flatten them. Freeze flat to make storing more effecient.
Expiry Date vs Best Before
These are not the same! Expiry dates are only on 5 types of foods in Canada, and should never be consumed after expiry:
- Baby formula
- Meal replacements
- Nutritional supplements
- Formulated liquid diets
- Pharmacist-sold foods for special diets
Yes, you can consume unopened foods past the best before dates—they just might not taste as good. Things like:
- Orange juice
Once opened though, best before dates no longer apply. Store foods properly and use within 3 to 5 days.
Fridge Storage Tips
- Set your fridge to 40˚F (4˚C) or below
- Wash, dry and store produce in airtight containers: moisture is the enemy here!
- Store eggs and dairy on the top shelf where it’s cold
- Keep meat and fish in the bottom drawer
Fridge organizing tips
- Place delicate foods at the front of the fridge: berries, salad greens
- Group like things together: sandwich fixings, breakfast foods
- Create a healthy snack bin for grab-and-go
- Hide the chocolate in the back so only you can find it 🙂