Grilled Vegetables with Lemon Zest
One of my favourite ways to prepare vegetables is cooked on the bbq. Grilling and charring brings out the best flavours in vegetables. Mini potatoes are hearty and take much longer to cook than broccoli or mushrooms. Start with heartier vegetables first, like potatoes, then add the mushrooms followed by the broccoli. Staggering cooking times is the key to having them all ready to eat at the same time.
1 head of broccoli
1 bag (680g) little gem potatoes
227g whole cremini mushrooms
227g sliced king oyster mushrooms
3 tbsp canola oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Zest of one lemon
Preheat BBQ to 400F
- Trim about a ½” off the bottom of the broccoli stalk. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the stalk, exposing its tender centre. Use a sharp knife to slice the broccoli, lengthwise into long pieces.
- Use a towel or vegetable brush to clean the mushrooms of any exterior dirt.
- Place the broccoli, potatoes and mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes right on the heated BBQ grill and cook, moving occasionally for 10min. Then add the mushrooms and cook for 5min and finally, add the broccoli. Cook, moving the vegetables as needed so they cook evenly and don’t burn.
- Remove the cooked vegetables to a serving dish and scatter lemon zest over the top.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...