Gluten-free Coconut Chicken Strips with Spicy Mango Chutney
1 cup coconut flour
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (625g)
1 ½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
¼ cup coconut oil, divided
1 cup store bought mango chutney
1 tbsp sambal olek
- Pour the coconut flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper into a large sealable bag.
- Remove the tenders from the bottom of the chicken breast and slice the remaining breast into long strips.
- Crack the eggs into a shallow dish and whisk.
- Pour the flaked coconut into another shallow dish.
- Drop the chicken strips into the bag with the coconut flour mixture and seal. Shake the bag so the chicken gets well coated in the flour mixture.
- Remove the chicken strips, a few at a time, shaking off the excess flour and place in the egg. Coat the chicken in the egg and then transfer to the coconut flakes. Press the coconut into the chicken. Place chicken strips on a baking sheet. Continue in the same manner with the remaining chicken.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or non-stick pan) over medium heat and add 1 tbsp coconut oil. Once the oil is melted and hot add enough chicken to cover the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook for 5min on the first side. Flip when the coconut is golden brown and cook for another 4min. Continue to cook the chicken, flipping as needed and monitoring the temperature so the coconut doesn’t burn. Once cooked through, transfer the chicken to a clean baking tray and keep warm in a 200F oven.
- Remove any coconut that was left behind in the pan and add another 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Continue cooking the chicken in batches until it’s all cooked.
- Mix together the mango chutney and sambel olek.
Serve the warm chicken with spicy mango chutney.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...