GIFTS FROM THE KITCHEN: Cinnamon scented marinated olives and dates
Food photography and styling
Cinnamon might not be the first spice that comes to mind when you think olives, but I promise you, this recipe is delicious. The cinnamon is warming and plays so nicely along side the briny olives and sweet dates. The unexpected flavour combination makes this the perfect cocktail snack, as a condiment on a cheese board or served alongside roasted meat. This recipe will delight the foodie in your life.
Makes 4 cups
3 cups of mixed olives (black and green)
12 Medjool dates, pitted and quartered
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup canola oil
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp red chili flakes
4 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- Add the olives, dates, cinnamon and red wine vinegar to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from half the orange. You need about 4, ½” wide strips that are approximately 2” long.
- Place a small pot on the stove over medium heat and add the canola oil, olive oil, orange zest, fennel seeds, chili flakes and garlic. Heat the mixture for about 4min.
- Pour the oil mixture over the olives and dates and stir well to combine.
- Store in 1 cup containers.
TIP: Serve alongside a cheese or charcuterie platter.
TIP: Chop a cup of the mixture and serve alongside roasted meat.
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...