Cooking to Fill Minds & Bellies
Homeschooling got you down?
I have the perfect solution: cooking. Hear me out—a few minutes cooking together teaches kids dozens of skills at once. Or, what the heck, toss the e-learning schedule for a day and let them cook their hearts out.
Cooking basics is homeschooling at its absolute best, and here’s what kids get out of it:
• Confidence and self-esteem through accomplishment
• Creativity and aesthetics (exploring the beauty of food)
• Preliminary math (measuring, counting, sequencing events)
• Pre-reading (numerals, symbols)
• Reading (word recognition, left-to-right cueing)
• Science! (observation, cause and effect, chemistry)
• Small motor skills (hand-eye coordination)
• Endurance (kneading, mixing stiff batters)
• Patience and self-control (“a watched pot never boils”)
• Language (describing, predicting)
• Following directions
• Teamwork and community
• Food literacy (an essential skill and lost art)
Ready to teach through food?