Chocolate-Cherry Orange Scented “Babka”
Makes 1 loaf
5 tbsp unsalted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup chopped dark chocolate
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp espresso powder
500g pizza dough
Zest of ½ an orange
¼ cup dried cherries
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
Allow the pizza dough to sit out at room temperature for 20min. L.ine a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper
- Add the butter and sugar to a small pot and heat over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted and sugar is dissolved, about 2min.
- Stir in the dark chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon and espresso powder. Remove from the heat immediately. Continue to stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside to cool for 15min.
- Place your pizza dough on a well-floured work surface and roll it out into a 40cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Spread the cooled chocolate mixture evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a 1/2” border. Evenly distribute the orange zest over the top of the chocolate followed by the dried cherries.
- Starting at the long edge roll the dough into a tight log. Cut the log in half crosswise. Make an X with the dough by placing one half on top of the other and wind each end of the X together in a spiral. Pinch the ends together.
- Place the babka spiral into the prepared loaf pan. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake for 35min until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and cool for 15min before slicing.