Chili Shrimp Burgers with Grilled Onion and Avocado Mayo
1lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp finely minced jalapeno
2 tbsp finely minced cilantro stems
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 red onion, sliced into ¼” slices
1 tbsp canola oil
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp plain yogurt
4 slices of cooked bacon (optional)
- Chop half of the shrimp into small ¼” chunks and finely mince the other half.
- Add all the shrimp along with the green onions, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder, salt, egg and bread crumbs to a bowl and mix until it begins to hold together.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a patty. Place shrimp burgers on a sheet of parchment and store in the fridge, covered, for a minimum of 30min.
- Add the avocado, salt, lime juice and plain yogurt to a bowl (or mini food processor) and mash until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat a BBQ or indoor grill to 400F. Cook the shrimp burgers for 4-5min per side, until they are firm and cooked through.
- Brush the onion slices with canola oil and place on the BBQ, cook for 10min, turning once or twice until the onions are soft and brown.
- Split the buns in half and toast on the BBQ.
- Dollop a good amount of avocado mayo on the bottom bun, top with a shrimp burger followed by grilled onions and bacon (if using).
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...