Chili Beef Tacos with Roasted Salsa
Serves 6 (with leftovers)
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 can (127ml) chopped green chilies
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 (1.5kg) blade roast
(Makes 3 cups)
4 Roma tomatoes, halved
1 green pepper
1 cooking onion, quartered
2 tbsp canola oil, divided
3 tbsp lime juice
¼ cup chopped cilantro
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
You will also need:
12 small corn tortillas
Lime wedges for garnish
Preheat BBQ to 400F
- Mix together the brown sugar, green chillies, Worcestershire, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic and paprika.
- Place the roast on a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Spread the chili and spice mixture all over the outside of the roast. Cover with another double layer of foil; seal edges tightly.
- Coat the tomatoes, jalapenos and onion with canola oil and place the vegetables on the BBQ. Cook the vegetables on all sides until they are charred and soft. Remove to a baking sheet.
- Transfer the roast beef to the barbeque and turn off the burner beneath the roast. Close the lid and cook for about 2 ½ hrs. or until the beef can be pulled apart easily with two forks.
- In the meantime, remove the skin from the tomatoes, and peppers. Discard any seeds from the green pepper and the jalapeno (you can leave some jalapeno seeds on the flesh if you like a little heat.
- Transfer the tomatoes, green pepper, jalapenos and onions to a food processor and pulse until you have a chunky salsa. Pour the salsa into a bowl and mix in the lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Carefully transfer the beef to a baking sheet and allow to rest for 15min.
- Pour any juices that have accumulated in the foil into a large bowl. Shred the beef and discard any fatty pieces. Add the shredded beef to the bowl with the juice and toss to coat.
- Add 2 tbsp of the shredded beef to a warm corn tortilla, top with salsa, sour cream and a squeeze of lime.
Tip: Use leftover beef to stuff potatoes, quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwiches or to top pizza.
INGREDIENTS Serves 2 1 tbsp canola oil 2 cups broccoli florets ½ red pepper, sliced 250g...