Blueberry Salmon Lox
Using blueberry jam to cure salmon is both unique and impressive. It also has a distinct Canadian feel, which I love. After curing for two days the salmon takes on a rich magenta hue on the surface and a glistening jewel toned pink interior. This is a beautiful dish to make for a special lunch or as an appetizer. Choose the freshest, best quality salmon and you can’t go wrong.
½ cup Bonne Maman Intense Blueberry Spread
½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup salt
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
500g centre cut salmon
- Add the blueberry spread, blueberries, salt, sugar and coriander seeds to a small food processor or blender and puree until everything is blended.
- Place the salmon on a plastic wrap lined, rimmed pan, large enough to hold the salmon. Pour the blueberry mixture over the salmon and be sure to cover the entire piece evenly. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Use the bottom and top piece to wrap the salmon tightly. Once wrapped, use a third piece of plastic wrap to cover the sealed salmon. Use a second pan (or a couple tin cans) to weigh the salmon down.
- Place in the fridge for 24 to 48hrs. Remove the plastic wrap and scrape off the blueberry mixture and discard. Rinse salmon quickly under cold running water and then pat the salmon dry.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the salmon off the skin into thin slices.
6 slices of sourdough, toasted
1 cup cream cheese
½ cup Bonne Maman Blueberry Intense Spread
The Lox, thinly sliced
Optional garnishes: capers, sliced shallots, fresh dill sprigs.
- Spread each slice of toast with equal amounts of cream cheese followed by the Bonne Maman Intense Blueberry spread. Top with 4 slices of the lox and garnish as desired.
TIP: Create an appetizer platter by making smaller crostini as above.
This recipe is sponsored by Bonne Maman.
Air Fryer Beef and Blue Cheese Stuffed Portobellos
Add a new, quick weeknight meal to your rotation with these savoury beef and blue cheese...
Chipotle-lime Air Fryer Beef Skewers
Tender, juicy and chocked full of flavour, cooking these skewers in the air fryer means you...
Air Fryer Lemon-oregano Roast Beef and Vegetables
Paired with bold Mediterranean flavours, this tender beef roast and mix of hearty vegetables is...