Asparagus Quiche with Potato Crust
2 large Russet potatoes (750g)
1 tsp salt
½ cup grated parmesan
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter
300g Asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
½ red onion, sliced
¾ cup cream
3/4 tsp dried tarragon leaves
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
75g goat’s cheese
Preheat oven to 400F and spray a 9” spring form pan with non-stick spray.
- Grate the potato with a box grater or by using the shredder attachment of a food processor. Place the grated potato’s in a strainer in the sink. Season with salt and toss. Let the potatoes rest for 10min. Press and squeeze as much liquid out of the potatoes as possible.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and mix in the grated parmesan and egg. Add this mixture to the spring form pan and press the potato mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides evenly. Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and cook for 20min.
- Melt the butter in a skillet set over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 3min. Add the asparagus and cook for another 5min or until the asparagus is bright green and tender crisp.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, tarragon, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the potato crust from the oven and turn the oven down to 350F.
- Tip the onion and asparagus into the potato crust and then pour over the egg mixture. Top with goat’s cheese and bake for 40min or until the quiche is set in the centre.
- Cool for 5min and slice and serve.